Tournament Format Idea

Tournament Format Idea

Postby Sara Walsh » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm

I have been trying to think of different tournament formats to try.

What do you think of an unrated opening theme tournament? 3 rounds, G/45 or G/60 d5, with time between rounds to have someone present short lectures (ideas/typical endgames) on the opening or go over a game.

A nominal fee would be charged to compensate the guest lecturer. Maybe the guest would be nice enough to review games as they finish as well.

Thoughts?
This is PrincessChess signing off. Have a great thinking day!
Sara Walsh

First Name: Sara
Last Name: Walsh

Re: Tournament Format Idea

Postby MauriceDana » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi, Sara,
I like the idea of a themed tournament. I play in these frequently on ChessWorld to learn openings. I would prefer a lot of games, maybe Game 10/5, 10-12 games with a generous lunch break. I would favor a narrow focus like a gambit offshoot of a main line, so that players could reaonably expect to achieve the opening in tournament play. Some thoughts: Gajewski Gambit, Evans Gambit, Schlieman Defense. Dilworth Attack, Korchnoi Gambit (French), Danish, etc. Maybe the d4 players have some similar gambits, but I'm not sure if they believe in things like that. It seems like this type of tournament couldn't be rated, but no reason not to have a good prize fund to attract a lot of players.
If the themed tournaments are popular, you might begin the guest commentator idea. You could get a person to research the opening to get the main strategic and tactical ideas and present them at the beginning of the tournament. Maybe buy the individual a book on the opening. Playing would be optional for the person. My guess is that everyone would be too worn out after the event to give or listen to commentary -- that might be a separate experiment for a different type of event.
See you Saturday.
MauriceDana

Re: Tournament Format Idea

Postby kenspencer » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 am

One type of themed tournament I have not seen is: Round 1 - Sicilian, Round 2 - French, Round 3 - Queen's Gambit, etc., where every round is a different opening theme. Just a thought.
kenspencer

First Name: Ken
Last Name: Spencer

Return to North Carolina Chess Discussion