scholastic tournaments

scholastic tournaments

Postby patcspur » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm

What is the rule concerning interference in a scholastic game by the coaches that affect the outcome of the game?
patcspur

First Name: Patsy
Last Name: Spurrier

Re: scholastic tournaments

Postby Walter High » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Depends on the nature of the interference.
Walter High

First Name: Walter
Last Name: High

Postby patcspur » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:22 pm

In this case, one player was winning easily but the coaches of the other player called over the tournament director to tell him the winning player was not always using the same hand to hit the clock in a speed game. The player didn't point this out, but the coaches brought the TD over to win the game for the losing player.
patcspur

Postby Walter High » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:43 pm

I believe the TD should not have intervened, especially in a speed game if the opposing player did not make the complaint. Since this involved scholastic players, they probably should have pointed out prior to beginning the first round some of the rules that are often violated in speed chess, such as using the same hand for all activity, illegal moves lose the game (e.g., king left in check and captured), and not hitting your clock until you have set back up any pieces you knocked over.

Walter
Walter High

First Name: Walter
Last Name: High

Postby patcspur » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:52 pm

I agree. Saw this happen and never thought it was right.
patcspur

Postby prsciacca » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:55 pm

I disagree. A TD should always intervene on seeing blatant violations of the game.
prsciacca

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Sciacca

Postby Rudy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:12 pm

I agree with Walter the TD should NOT intervene in a game in progress. The only time a TD will intervene is when a player or spectator is conducting them-self in a unsportsmanlike manner. Also if the TD notices a malfunction in a clock or if the clock was set wrong. The only other time a TD should intervene is when he counts a 5 repetitive moves and the 75 move rule. All claims and complaints about a players opponent is up to the players and no one else.
Rudy

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Abate

Postby prsciacca » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:19 pm

First of all, for USCF event applying USCF rules, a TD calling an illegal move is not improperly "intervening" in a game. Rule 21D2 specifically indicates that one of the times that a director may intervene in a game is when he/she observes an illegal move made (outside of time pressure). Rule 11H actually indicate that a director "SHALL require that player to replace the move with a legal one ..." (emphasis added). But the Rules do provide a variation in which a director may act as witness only (11H1). If so he must be consistent, "i.e. a director may not require players to correct illegal moves when witnessed in some cases and not in others." In other words, a director may not start with applying 11H in an event, and then revert to applying 11H1 in the SAME event.

Now most TDs might believe that Rule 11H1 "should" always be used. But that's only an opinion. The USCF rules obviously don't require that they adopt Rule 11H1. Personally, as a TD, I would intervene and call illegal moves, reverting to Rule 21A: "Responsible for all play, the tournament director must see that the rules are observed."
prsciacca

First Name: Patrick
Last Name: Sciacca

Return to North Carolina Chess Discussion